For many foreign nationals, getting a Canadian work permit is the first step towards building a life in Canada. We can help you prepare your work permit application to ensure your desired outcome. We have decades of experience representing workers at all levels. We take great pride in our expertise and 

If you are a citizen of any country with which Canada has a Free Trade Agreement (for example, Mexico, South Korea, Honduras, Panama, Jordan, Columbia, Peru, Costa Rica, Chile, and Israel), as business immigration lawyers, we can assist you in filing for a Free Trade Agreement Work Permit. To be eligible, you must have an offer of employment from a Canadian employer. 

In addition, our team is extensively skilled in dealing with spousal open work permits. A spousal work permit allows your spouse to work and live in Canada. It also allows your children to study in Canada at preschool, elementary, middle, or higher secondary school levels. Spousal work permits can be applied along with the principal work permit application. 

We take great pride in our experience and are always eager to offer the best legal solutions to your immigration needs! If you or someone you know needs assistance applying for a work permit, feel free to contact our office. 

Areas of Expertise

Get social and stay up to date with our community involvement:

Contact us for a Consultation About your Desire to Immigrate to Canada

Do not delay. Contact us for a consultation regarding your individual immigration process to Canada. We will work with you every step of the way as we pursue your desired outcome. Call us today at: +1 (403) 216-1199 or click the button below to fill out an online form and our office will reach out to you directly!


Can I include my dependent children on my spousal open work permit application?

No, dependent children cannot be included on a spousal open work permit application. They must apply for their study permits or other appropriate immigration documents to accompany them to Canada.

Can I switch employers while holding a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) work permit?

Yes, you can switch employers while holding an FTA work permit. However, you must notify the immigration authorities of the change and ensure that the new employment still falls within the eligible occupation category under the FTA agreement.

Can my dependent children study in Canada while I hold an FTA work permit?

Yes, dependent children of FTA work permit holders are generally eligible to study in Canada. They may need to apply for a study permit and provide supporting documents, such as proof of acceptance from a designated learning institution and evidence of financial support.

Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada if I hold a work permit under a different immigration category?

Yes, even if you hold a work permit under a different immigration category, your spouse or common-law partner may still be eligible for an open work permit. Various programs and options are available, and eligibility requirements will depend on the specific circumstances and immigration category.

Can I apply for a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) work permit without a job offer from a Canadian employer?

No, a job offer from a Canadian employer is typically required to apply for an FTA work permit. The permit aims to facilitate employment opportunities in Canada under specific free trade agreements, and a job offer is a key requirement to demonstrate the need for foreign workers in eligible occupations.


Can I apply for a work permit without a job offer?

It depends on the type of work permit you are applying for. Some work permits, such as open work permits for spouses or common-law partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents, do not require a specific job offer. However, most work permits in Canada require a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

What is the difference between an LMIA and a work permit?

An LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) is a document that Canadian employers may need to obtain to demonstrate that hiring a foreign worker will not negatively impact the Canadian labour market. A work permit, on the other hand, is the legal authorization that allows a foreign national to work in Canada. While an LMIA may be a requirement for some work permits, not all work permits require an LMIA.

Can I extend my work permit to continue working in Canada?

Yes, you can apply for an extension of your work permit to continue working in Canada. However, you must ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for an extension and apply before
your current work permit expires.

Can I change employers while on a work permit?

It depends on the type of work permit you hold. If you have an employer-specific work permit, it is usually tied to a specific employer, and changing employers may require obtaining a
new work permit. However, if you have an open work permit, you can work for any employer in Canada without needing a new work permit.

Can I apply for permanent residency while on a work permit?

Yes, in many cases, individuals working in Canada on a valid work permit may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through various immigration programs, such as the Canadian Experience Class or the Provincial Nominee Program.

Contact Us Today