What is the Rural Renewal Stream?
The Rural Renewal Stream aims to help rural communities address labour shortages while providing newcomers with a chance to settle and contribute to these communities. This initiative is community-driven, with communities required to apply to the government for community designation to participate.
What are the mandatory requirements for the Rural Renewal Stream?
To participate in the Rural Renewal Stream, communities must meet several mandatory requirements, including:
- The community must have a population of less than 100,000 and fall outside the Calgary and Edmonton census metropolitan areas.
- Rural communities in the same economic region may form a partnership to submit an application.
- One or more employers must be interested in participating and have permanent, full-time, non-seasonal employment available.
- An endorsement letter of support from the participating town or municipal council, signed by the mayor or reeve, is required.
- The application must be signed and submitted by the economic development organization with a primary function in economic development.
- An economic development plan or similar document, which does not need to be current, must also be included in the application.
Areas of Expertise
Get social and stay up to date with our community involvement:
Is the Rural Renewal Stream only available to communities with a population of less than 100,000?
Yes, communities must have a population of less than 100,000 and fall outside the Calgary and Edmonton census metropolitan areas to participate in the program.
Can rural communities in different economic regions form partnerships to submit a joint application?
Yes, rural communities in the same economic region can form a partnership and submit a joint application.
Is it necessary for the economic development plan to be current for the application to be considered?
No, the economic development plan or a similar document does not need to be current, but it must be included in the application. Current is always preferred.