What is the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream?
The Graduate Entrepreneur Stream allows international graduates of Alberta post-secondary institutions to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This stream is designed for individuals who want to establish or operate a business in Alberta and contribute to the growth of the local economy.
What are the eligibility criteria for the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream?
To be eligible for the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Have completed a minimum of two years of full-time education at an Alberta Advanced Education publicly funded post-secondary institution resulting in a degree or diploma.
- Hold a valid post-graduation work permit (PGWP) issued by IRCC at the time of their Expression of Interest (EOI) submission.
- Demonstrate a minimum Canadian language benchmark (CLB) level of 7 in writing, reading, listening, and speaking.
- Establish or purchase a business in Alberta with a minimum ownership of 34%, and the proposed business type must not be on the list of ineligible businesses.
- Have a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as a business partner.
Who can apply?
International graduates of Alberta post-secondary institutions who have completed at least two years of full-time education and hold a valid post-graduation work permit (PGWP) issued by IRCC can apply for the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream. Additionally, they must meet the eligibility criteria mentioned above and be capable of establishing or operating a business in Alberta.
What are the adaptability factors for the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream?
Candidates who have one or more of the following adaptability factors may increase their likelihood of receiving a request to submit a business application:
- 6 months of full-time work experience actively managing or owning a business or equivalent experience.
- Ability to provide economic benefit to Alberta through job creation, investment, intellectual property, etc.
- Age between 21 to 49 years.
- Spouse or common-law partner has at least 1 year of full-time employment in Alberta, completed 2 years of full-time study at an Alberta post-secondary institution, or a minimum level CLB 5 in English or NCLC 5 in French.
- You or your spouse/common-law partner have a relative living full-time in Alberta (father, step-father, mother, step-mother, child, step-child, sister, step-sister, brother, step-brother)
Areas of Expertise
What is the Alberta Farm Stream? Farm Stream is a pathway designed for entrepreneurs who have experience in farm management and financial resources to establish or purchase a farm in Alberta, Canada. The program aims to attract foreign investors who can contribute to the growth of Alberta's agriculture industry. Are you eligible to apply for...
Learn More →
What is the Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream? The Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream is a permanent residency pathway for international graduates who have obtained their education outside of Canada and are interested in establishing innovative businesses and start-ups in Alberta. This economic immigration program aims to attract foreign entrepreneurs to Alberta. What are the eligibility criteria...
Learn More →
What is the Alberta Opportunity Stream? The Alberta Opportunity Stream is designed for temporary foreign workers who are currently employed full-time in Alberta and have received a job offer from an eligible Alberta employer in a full-time occupation. To be eligible, candidates must have a favorable Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or possess one of...
Learn More →
What is the Rural Entrepreneur Stream? The Rural Entrepreneur Stream is a program to promote economic growth and development in rural Alberta by attracting and retaining entrepreneurial talent. This program is designed to encourage and support individuals who want to start or acquire a business in a rural community in Alberta. By providing eligible candidates...
Learn More →
What is the Rural Renewal Stream? The Rural Renewal Stream aims to help rural communities address labour shortages while providing newcomers with a chance to settle and contribute to these communities. This initiative is community-driven, with communities required to apply to the government for community designation to participate. What are the mandatory requirements for the...
Learn More →
Get social and stay up to date with our community involvement:
Can I apply for the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream if I have completed my education outside of Alberta?
No, this stream is only open to international graduates of Alberta post-secondary institutions who have completed at least two years of full-time education.
Do I need to establish a business in Alberta before submitting my application?
No, candidates are not required to establish a business in Alberta until their business application is approved by the AAIP.
What types of businesses are ineligible for the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream?
The proposed business type must not be on the list of ineligible businesses. This list includes but is not limited to, bed and breakfasts, hobby farms, payday loans or cheque-cashing businesses etc.
What happens if I receive a nomination through the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) and I don't apply for permanent residence within 6 months?
If you receive a nomination through the AAIP, you must apply for permanent residence within 6 months. If you don’t apply within 6 months, your nomination will expire, and you will need to reapply through the AAIP if you still want to immigrate to Alberta.
Can I extend my nomination if I can't apply for permanent residence within 6 months?
Yes, you may be able to extend your nomination. To extend your nomination, you must submit a request in writing to the AAIP explaining the reasons why you are unable to apply for permanent residence within the 6-month period. The AAIP will review your request and may grant an extension of up to 12 months.