What is the Alberta Opportunity Stream?
The Alberta Opportunity Stream is designed for temporary foreign workers who are currently employed full-time in Alberta and have received a job offer from an eligible Alberta employer in a full-time occupation. To be eligible, candidates must have a favorable Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or possess one of the accepted LMIA exemption work permits. Additionally, candidates must satisfy several other criteria relating to residency and work permit type, occupation, language proficiency, education, work experience, and the Alberta job offer.
What are the occupation requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream?
The two main occupation requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream are as follows:
- Applicants must be employed in an eligible occupation at the time of application and assessment by the AAIP.
- Most jobs with a National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 are considered eligible, with a few exceptions.
What are the residency and work permit requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream?
The following are the residence and work permit requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream:
- Applicants must be in Canada on a valid temporary foreign worker status and have a valid work permit.
- If you are on a post-graduation open work permit, 6 months of your work experience MUST be in an industry related to your education. Moreover, your education must be completed inside Alberta at a qualifying institution.
- Refugees, temporary residents living or working outside Alberta, and foreign nationals without valid temporary status are not eligible.
What are the language requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream?
To be eligible for the Alberta Opportunity Stream, the applicant must meet the following language requirements:
- Applicants must demonstrate ability in English and/or French, as determined by a formal language assessment (CELPIP, IELTS, or TEF).
- The minimum language score requirements vary based on the NOC code of the applicant’s occupation, with a minimum score of CLB 5 required for NOC codes TEER 0-3, and CLB 4 required for NOC codes TEER 4 and 5.
- Applicants with NOC code 33102 (Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates) must have a minimum language test score of CLB 7 for each language skill.
What are the educational requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream?
The applicant must meet the following education criteria to be eligible for the Alberta Opportunity Stream:
- Applicants must have completed high school or a higher level of education.
- Applicants must submit a copy of an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for their highest level of education.
- If the applicant is starting in Canada as an international student, they must complete their education inside Alberta.
Is there any work experience requirement for the Alberta Opportunity Stream?
The work experience requirements for the Alberta Opportunity Stream are as follows:
- Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time work experience in their current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months or at least 24 months of full-time work experience in their current occupation in Canada and/or abroad within the last 30 months.
- The work experience must have been full-time, and part-time work will not meet eligibility requirements.
- If you are on a post-graduation open work permit, you can qualify after 6 months of work, so long as that work is in an industry related to your field of study.
Areas of Expertise
What is the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream? The Graduate Entrepreneur Stream allows international graduates of Alberta post-secondary institutions to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This stream is designed for individuals who want to establish or operate a business in Alberta and contribute to the growth of the local economy. What are the eligibility criteria for...
Learn More →
What is the Alberta Farm Stream? Farm Stream is a pathway designed for entrepreneurs who have experience in farm management and financial resources to establish or purchase a farm in Alberta, Canada. The program aims to attract foreign investors who can contribute to the growth of Alberta's agriculture industry. Are you eligible to apply for...
Learn More →
What is the Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream? The Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream is a permanent residency pathway for international graduates who have obtained their education outside of Canada and are interested in establishing innovative businesses and start-ups in Alberta. This economic immigration program aims to attract foreign entrepreneurs to Alberta. What are the eligibility criteria...
Learn More →
What is the Rural Entrepreneur Stream? The Rural Entrepreneur Stream is a program to promote economic growth and development in rural Alberta by attracting and retaining entrepreneurial talent. This program is designed to encourage and support individuals who want to start or acquire a business in a rural community in Alberta. By providing eligible candidates...
Learn More →
What is the Rural Renewal Stream? The Rural Renewal Stream aims to help rural communities address labour shortages while providing newcomers with a chance to settle and contribute to these communities. This initiative is community-driven, with communities required to apply to the government for community designation to participate. What are the mandatory requirements for the...
Learn More →
Get social and stay up to date with our community involvement:
Can I apply for the Alberta Opportunity Stream if I'm not currently employed in Alberta?
No, you must be employed in an eligible occupation in Alberta at the time of your application and when the application is assessed.
Is the Alberta Opportunity Stream part of the Express Entry program?
No, the Alberta Opportunity Stream is a base stream under the Provincial Nominee Program, so applications are processed outside the Express Entry program. However, Alberta also has a dedicated Express Entry stream called the Alberta Express Entry Stream, through which it can nominate candidates in the federal Express Entry pool.
Can I apply for the Alberta Opportunity Stream if I am a refugee or asylum seeker?
No, refugee claimants and temporary residents living or working outside of Alberta, as well as foreign nationals without valid temporary status, are not eligible for the Alberta Opportunity Stream.